Friday, November 04, 2005

Moon landing

The Reverend Sun Myung Moon, an octogenarian who once appeared in the Guinness Book of Records for marrying the most couples in one go and the leader of The Unification Church, the group most commonly known as the Moonies is on his way to the UK.

Michael Howard banned him in 1995 as a threat to public order but Charles Clarke's home-office have now been quoted as saying:
"We can confirm that the exclusion order against him has been lifted.

"We keep exclusions under review. The Unification Church in the United Kingdom is extremely small and any visit by its founder is considered unlikely to pose any threat to the public order of this country."

He's due to arrive in his private Lear Jet in time to give a speech to religious conference, almost exactly 70 years since the day he claimed to meet Jesus on a hillside.

More details can be found here.

Full details of his extraordinary career can be found in The Joy Of Sects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moon Landing: Nice Title
I was thinking of
"There's a Bad Moon on the Plane"
or of a variation on a Beatles song, but I couldnt think of any.

Sam, will you be attending this event???

Sam Jordison said...

Sadly, I think I've missed it... he didn't invite me! bah!
Bad Moon On The Plane's good too...

If I do manage to get in, I'll let you know...